We’ve all heard that happiness is a choice, and that is true. It is not what happens to us, but our attitude and the way we react to situations that will determine our happiness. Here are a few “secrets” I have discovered so far in my 39 years that have led me to a life filled with happiness and inner peace.
1. The attitude of gratitude will ALWAYS bring you happiness. Find something to be thankful for. We are all constantly surrounded by so many gifts and blessings.
2. View every encounter and experience as a gift. Even the seemingly bad situations are a gift in the end. Try to recognize and appreciate these gifts every day.
3. Be kind to everyone, but spend the majority of your time with like-minded, positive people who are also committed to improving their personal and spiritual growth and are willing to support you on your journey.
4. Fill your mind with only positive, inspirational and uplifting ideas and thoughts. Turn off the news and leave the disturbing books at the library. “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” ~ Philippians 4:8 (my favorite bible verse)
5. Eat real food!! (It’s amazing how much energy you will have!)
6. Do not multitask. Do one thing at a time, give it your all, and be fully present in everything you do. Heaven on Earth happens in the moments when you are fully present.
7. Do not judge others. You have no idea what anyone else is going through. Everyone has reasons for their beliefs and actions. We are all unique and just want to be allowed to be ourselves and be accepted for who we really are. Only then can our true gifts shine through. “If God is infinite, then nobody is wrong.” ~ Panache Desai
8. Think before you speak. Is it true, helpful, inspiring, necessary, or kind? If not, keep it to yourself.
9. Forgive. Holding onto anger never hurts the other person. It only hurts yourself. Let it go and let God take it from there.
10. Do not gossip or spend your time consumed with other people’s lives. Put your time and energy into improving your own.
11. Practice acceptance. Everything happens for a reason, and always for the overall good. Even the most tragic situations result in more good than bad over time. Unfortunately, sometimes it may take years to see the good, but just trust that it is for a reason. God doesn’t make mistakes.
12. Go for a walk every day. Outside!
13. When you’re feeling stressed, go outside. Take a deep breath, look up at the sky, admire it’s beauty, and say “Thank You!” An instant moment of peace!!
14. Spend some time alone every day. God speaks to you in the silence. “The morning breeze has secrets to tell you, do not go back to sleep”~ Rumi
15. Do less. Downtime is NEVER wasted time. (It took me a very long time to learn this!)
16. Do something creative every day. Write, draw, cook, paint, anything. Just create!
17. The answers are all within you. Stop looking outside of yourself for them.
18. Focus on cooperation rather than competition. There is an infinite supply of love and abundance in the world. Collaborate with those who have common goals rather than competing with them. Working together will benefit everyone!
19. Stop trying to mask your true self. Learn to fully love and accept yourself as you are. If you NEED makeup to feel good about yourself, or you NEED substances (like drugs, alcohol, coffee, or even sugar…yes, sugar is a drug) to keep you going or wake you up each day, those things need to be eliminated from your life. Your passion for life should get you out of bed each morning, not coffee!
20. Embrace who you are and stop worrying about what others think. Once you do this, others who are like-minded will enter your life. You are never alone. (Although you may feel like you are for a while…just hang in there.)
21. Go on dates with those closest to you (your spouse, each of your children individually, your mom, etc.) Let them know they are special and worthy of your time and undivided attention.
22. Remember, you do not set the master plan for your life. Embrace distractions and view them as gifts. Everything is happening in its own perfect time, so stop trying to rush everything. Stop trying so hard and just let go and allow God to work through you.
23. Don’t do anything out of guilt or obligation. Only do things out of love.
24. Have no expectations. You will never be disappointed, and you will begin to view everything in your life as a gift and blessing. Every day is full of wonderful surprises!
25. The best things in life are free!!
26. Treat others the way you want to be treated. We are all connected. If you love yourself, that love will pour out onto others. If you hurt yourself, you hurt others. The opposite is true as well.
27. Every action is a choice toward love or away from it. Always choose the path toward love.
28. Guard your time. Only spend it on things that are truly important to you. Don’t ever feel guilty for saying no. Doing something out of guilt or obligation is not an act of love.
29. Dedicate one day a week to rest and to be fully present with those you love. Turn off the technology on this day and enjoy your time together creating, exploring God’s wonderful creations, and just enjoying life and making memories together. (For me, that day is Saturday and is ALWAYS my favorite day of the week and always filled with love, blessings, and gratitude!)
30. Let go of your attachment to your possessions. Nothing (and no one) really belongs to you. Rather, view everything you have as a temporary gift from God that can be taken away at any moment. Stop to appreciate those gifts often.
31. Don’t sweat the small stuff. In the end, nothing really matters except your relationships…with yourself, with God, and with others. Spend time on what really matters.
32. Listen to music! Dance! Sing!
33. Keep a journal. Write in it as often as you can. You will be amazed at the wisdom inside you.
34. Never stop learning. Read, read, read! And take advice from those you admire.
35. Clear out the clutter in all areas of your life. Clutter drains energy.
36. Get adequate sleep so you wake up feeling fully rested each morning.
37. Let go of your desire for perfection. Everyone and everything can always be improved, but at some point you must let “good enough” be good enough.
38. Focus on giving rather than getting. “Turn your focus from “What’s in it for me?” to “How can I serve?”~Dr. Wayne Dyer
39. You are not an accident. You are here for a purpose. Turn within, learn to love and accept who you are and identify the gifts within you. Use those gifts to make the world a better place. 🙂
Note: This list was originally posted last year on my blog JourneyToCompleteWellness.
I hope you enjoyed my list. Do you have any “secrets” I may have missed? If so, leave a comment below! Have a HAPPY day! 🙂