Sadly, strawberry season just ended where I live in Massachusetts, but blueberry picking just began, so my family is very excited about that. We went to pick strawberries at least 5 times this season! Most of them we just ate as is, but we did manage to save a few this year to make our first Strawberry Pie. It definitely will not be our last…it was delicious!!
Here is the recipe we used (originally taken from Allrecipes.com here, but we modified slightly)
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- 1 quart fresh-picked strawberries, washed and stems removed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Bake pie crust according to directions. We put ours into a glass pie plate and baked at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 11 minutes).
- Arrange 2 cups (about half) of the strawberries on the bottom of the pie crust, as shown below:
- Mash the remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell.
- Chill for several hours in the refrigerator before serving.
- To make whipped cream: Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks are about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Top the strawberry pie with the whipped cream. Enjoy! 🙂