My 7-year old came home on Tuesday (the first day of Hanukkah) and said her teacher made Hanukkah Latkes for them in school. She said they were delicious, and she wanted to attempt to make them at home. The teacher sent the recipe home, so we decided to give them a try. The whole family was raving over them. We will definitely be making them again! Here is the recipe:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- oil (we used olive oil)
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, onion, and eggs.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder.
- Carefully drop spoonfuls of the mixture into a skillet of hot oil. Flatten each spoonful with a spoon to make latkes.
- Fry both sides of the latkes until they are browned.
- Use a spatula to take the cooked latkes from the skillet. Place the latkes on paper towels to cool; then serve them.