With Halloween just over 2 weeks away, it’s time to start thinking about costumes. Last year, my 6-year old decided she wanted to be a Candy Corn. Sewing is not my strong point and we had never made our costumes before, but I thought it was a cute idea and it seemed easy enough to make ourselves. We decided to give it a try, and we were pleasantly surprised that her costume came out really cute, it was unique, and it was very inexpensive since we already had most of the items on hand. She was even able to put her own personal touches on it! This is how it came out:
To make this costume, here are the supplies you will need:
- Orange T-shirt
- Old White T-shirt or Long-Sleeved shirt that you are willing to cut up
- Yellow Felt
- Orange Felt or Orange Construction Paper
- Party hat from Dollar Store or Cardstock
- Yellow Construction Paper or yellow felt (for hat)
- Sheet of White Paper or White Felt
- Adhesive (hot glue or fabric glue) or sewing supplies
Instructions for Costume:
- Put white shirt over orange shirt. Cut white shirt evenly across around the chest or at the point where the amount of white and the amount of orange showing are about equal.
- At the bottom of the orange shirt, sew felt on (or pin, or use hot glue or fabric glue).
- (Optional) My daughter used googly eyes and extra pieces of felt to make a face and put her own personal touch on it, but that step is not necessary.
Instructions for Candy Corn Hat:
- Open hat so it is flat. Wrap an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white paper or white felt around the top 1/3 of the hat. Glue, tape, or staple in place.
- Glue or tape orange construction paper or orange felt to the middle 1/3 section of the hat.
- Glue or tape yellow construction paper or felt to the bottom 1/3 section of the hat.
- Close hat back up and use duck tape on the inside to secure it together.
The Candy Corn was the first homemade costume we had ever made. My daughter was SO proud that she had helped to create her own costume. It was so much fun, we are going to attempt to make our costumes again this year. Two of my girls want to be Crayola Crayons…stay tuned in the coming weeks for instructions on that if we can figure it out! 🙂 If you have an easy homemade costume idea that you would like to share, I would love to hear it! Happy creating! 🙂