It’s September in New England, but today does not feel like a typical September day. The kids are back in school, but the cool, crisp days of autumn seem distant. A refreshing smoothie seems the perfect drink to cool off on this hot, humid day. Since raspberries are abundant here during this time of year, I thought today would be a good day to share with you one of my favorite smoothies! It is made of all REAL foods, and is packed with protein, antioxidants, and Super Foods!! Yes, it is a green smoothie, but don’t let that scare you (you can’t even taste the greens!!) If it still scares you, feel free to leave the greens out.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do! This recipe was originally posted here on my blog Journey to Complete Wellness.
- ½ cup apple juice (preferably freshly juiced in a juicer, but store-bought works, too. Our favorite apple to juice is Gala, but try different types to see what you like best )
- ½ cup filtered water
- ¾ cup tightly packed organic greens (I use baby spinach, but any greens you like will work)
- 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 FROZEN banana
- 1 cup frozen raspberries (fresh will also work, but you may need to add ice)
- Blend apple juice, water, and greens in a blender until greens are dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until completely smooth.
A few notes:
1. It is very important to use frozen raspberries and banana. If you don’t have frozen, you may want to add a handful of ice. I have found that you cannot taste the greens at all if the smoothie is very cold. If you let it get warm, you will begin to taste the greens.
2. You do not need a fancy blender. Mine is over 12 years old, and is still working just fine.
3. If you prefer it thicker, use less liquid. Feel free to play with it and add nuts, seeds, pineapple, different berries, different types of juice or milk in place of the apple juice and water, etc. I love smoothies because you can play with the recipes and adjust according to your own preferences.
Enjoy! If you give it a try, please leave a comment below and let me know what you think. What is YOUR favorite smoothie?